The Barnes Foundation
Philadelphia, PA

Assemblies

4.00 inches of media

This green roof sits atop a $25 billion art collection at one of the most prestigious museums in the world. The artwork, collected by Albert C. Barnes, includes Post-Impressionist and early Modern paintings by masters such as Renoir, Cézanne, Matisse, and Picasso. The Barnes Foundation was established in 1922 to “promote the advancement of education and the appreciation of the fine arts and horticulture.”

In 2012 the collection was moved from its original home in Marion, PA to the newly constructed museum in Philadelphia. The green roof is one of the most visible sustainable features of the LEED Platinum building. A rooftop light box, protruding from the green roof, allows natural light into the galleries while filtering ultraviolet rays that can damage paintings and tapestries. At night, the light box looks like a beacon of light along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.